"A sustainable agriculture is one which depletes neither the people nor the land."
32 hectares of irrigated Honeybush is grown on our 285 hectare farm. Carefully nurtured by our team, the Honeybush grows alongside indigenous forest, which provides a haven for an abundance of native birds and wildlife. Clean air, fertile soils, and a Mediterranean climate are the ingredients that bring distinction to Bitou Honeybush Tea
At Bitou Honeybush Tea, our seedlings start their journey in the nursery before being planted and left to grow the way nature intended. Eighteen months later, we harvest, ferment, dry and pack their leaves to produce an herbal tea, that’s rich in antioxidants, low in tannins, and completely caffeine-free.
Our Honeybush Tea farming philosophy is rooted in sustainability and the need to care for the eco-system as well the needs of our neighbouring communities. Our communities’ health and wealth are interdependent with the land and must be protected to thrive, not just survive.
Organic and sustainably farmed
- We use rainwater collected in our dam for irrigation and solar panels provide power to the farm. In fact, we have done everything to create a self-sustaining, “off the grid” farm.
- We have a dedicated and loyal team of local people who, look after our nursery, planting, weeding, and harvesting.
- During the Covid-19 pandemic, our Bitou Honeybush Team supported the local community by providing and distributing food relief.
- As Honeybush Tea growers, we are proudly certified organic by Ecocert, (no pesticides, fertilisers or chemicals.) Our raw Honeybush is sent for Residue Analysis prior to every harvest to keep us true to our chemical-free promise.
- We harvest by hand to ensure that only selected stems are cut to allow for maximum regrowth.